Thursday, February 28, 2008

The feared stomach bug

Greetings! So, we had heard about the horrible flu/stomach bugs lately and we were thankful that we hadn't been hit with it. Famous last words, right??!! Well, my son seemed to have it, but it was bizarre....he was 100% healthy and then he'd vomit and then go back to whatever he was doing. Yuck, I know. He did this every other day for a week..... no rhyme or reason! My husband was feeling off for about a day, but didn't actually get sick (he has a stomach of steel).

I am not 100% sure I had a stomach bug, actually. About a week ago, I noticed that the front of my PDA for my Omnipod was cracked.....everything still worked, but I was nervous about the crack. I called Omnipod and they were fantastic. They sent out a replacement PDA immediately. So, last Tuesday, I went to change my pod and programmed my new PDA at the same time. To be honest, sometimes I am stronger than I think I am and when I put the needle with insulin into the pump, I did it a little forcefully, but everything seemed fine. On Wednesday, my blood sugars we a little high, but I was attributing that more to monthly cycles than anything. By the time I got home, I felt miserable and ended up getting sick to my stomach. When I tested my blood sugar, I was over 450!! YIKES. I then went to replace my pump and when filling up the reservoir in the pod, I noticed that there was insulin in the plastic case--- I actually think that I put the needle into the pod, but pressed so hard that I believe I cracked the pod with the needle tip. There was no other way that insulin could have gotten into the container. OMG. So, I am thinking maybe there was some insulin being delivered on Wednesday, but maybe I had done the same thing?! It didn't make any sense-- my blood sugars. So, after filling ANOTHER pod, and putting in sick day basal rates, I started to recoup after about 6 hours of illness. I stayed home today and rested.........

So, I guess I"m stronger than I think I am and I"m glad to at least be aware that I have a tendency to do this. So, a little less force when filling those cute pods!!!!

Still haven't heard from Omnipod and insurance.....................
Haven't had time/strength to take on my insurance for the eye doctor.......

Stay tuned! And, stay well!!

No comments: