Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Insurance incentive programs?

So, I am covered through my own insurance at work as my primary care insurance, but I am also covered through my husband's insurance for secondary insurance. On the secondary insurance, there is an "incentive" program which saves the family money by offering a rebate if you participate in some health programs. While I am all for saving money on healthcare, I'm not so sure that I want to jump on board with these incentive programs.
The program wants you to fill out a survey about your health issues and will give you feedback on how to better your overall health. It also provides a nurse that will 'coach' you through dealing with any chronic health issues that may come to light. My first reaction was F**K OFF! because I already see my endo every three months (sooner if needed) and my retinopathist every 6weeks-3 months, so why do I need a nurse. And, a bigger concern was what information that I will provide a third party vendor that will crunch a plan to increase my health will be given to my husband's employer. There was no clear "WE DO NOT SHARE INFO WIHT EMPLOYER" on their forms initially. My husband emailed HR and they assured him that no personal information is provided to the employer, but statistics (like the number of people who have high cholesterol) will be provided so that the employer can offer programming for the population as a whole to address health concerns in a group setting. Doesn't sound entirely bad, but that is based on a person trusting that people are honest and discrimination doesn't happen............ I am NOT one of those people!

Anyone participate in one of these programs and have feedback to provide? Any insight or thoughts?

Let me know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am a mom with a diabetic child, she is 10 and was a diabetic since she was 3. She as well weres a pump, so I really understand what she is going through, It feels like I am the diabetic, but I am not.

I am the one who has to try and figure out why she is high or low or if it was activity or sickness or a site issue, it is a never ending battle and it scares me to death, I wish I could take it from her and give it to me, I know that sounds silly but I am sure you understand.

It is just one of those weeks that her levels are not as good as I wont them to be. I am just venting. you have probably hear about these problems alot.

I just wont to say I truly understand what these diabetics go through and they are one of the strongest and most brave people I know! I love my daughter to no end and I am very proud of her,

Thanks for listening Rebecca