Thursday, May 31, 2007

Omnipod v. Medtronic

So, are any of you out there (and I hope there are some people reading) users of the Omnipod pump or the Medtronic pump? There's a lot of debate out there about the advantages and disadvantages of both pumps..... I've read the "Diabetesmine" blog which references some disadvantages of the Omnipod.

My situation is that I have the earliest version of the Paradigm--- I moved up from the Medtronic 508 because I wanted to be able to wear the pump in the water/pool. Well, that "promise" changed within a year with Medtronic asking all users to sign a legal document that they are advising you NOT to wear it in the water due to cracking/leaking issues. I also currently HATE the fact that the pump only has 150 unit reservoir. Yes, you're supposed to change everything out every 2 days...... honestly, I don't. I'm sick of hearing the warning beeps that my insulin in the reservoir is below 30 units (and I"m sure my co-workers are sick of hearing it, too!).

So, I'm looking seriously at the Omnipod. The cordless feature looks very enticing. However, this is relatively new and I figure as soon as I decide to change and buy it, some new component will come out and leave me, once again, in the pump ice ages. My endocrinologist said to me that if I wanted the future--- where pumps are really heading technology-wise, than the Omnipod is the way to go.

Should I or shouldn't I??? Any users out there to offer advice?

No comments: