Friday, July 27, 2007

Insurance hell and other life stories

Happy Friday! This past week, I've been enjoying time to myself as I start a new job on Monday. I've realized that I would actually love being rich and being able to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. Ah..... I lived it this week. Slept when I wanted to, read when I wanted to, had a massage, and yes, my son went to daycare! (snickering of 'bad mother' out there?!?!?!)

Anyways, last Thursday, I had laser surgery done for the umpteenth time on my left eye. Some of my vessels had grown close to a nerve, so it was more painful than I expected. My doc was patient and reassuring, but I was definitely over that situation. I went home with a headache that felt like a hangover without the benefits of having some nice fruity drinks beforehand!

On another note, my endocrinologist signed off on my Omnipod registration. Wooohooo. I faxed it the day she signed it to the Insulet company and was hoping to do training this week since I've been off. WAY TOO optimistic of me. I got a call from Omnipod saying they received my paperwork and were now talking to my insurance.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, no. The damn insurance companies. So, I tried to wait a day or so, but then couldn't hold back--- I called Insulet and the nice representative told me it usually takes 6-8 weeks before I'll hear from them while insurance reviews it.

Are you kidding me???? I already have a pump..... it is a medical necessity... but, the pessimist in me kept thinking "they're going to find a way NOT to cover it". I kept thinking of Michael Moore's movie, SICKO, where insurance companies did everything they could to find a loophole NOT to cover expensive things. I tried to reassure myself that we have very good insurance, so I kept my fingers crossed.

I have received a call from a very nice "benefits representative" from Insulet. She said she was currently reviewing my case and working with the insurance company and had noticed that I had checked off that my current pump was out of warranty. I said yes, that Minimed had been calling me for the last month to "upgrade" me. She asked me if I had any current problems with my pump and I told her I didn't think so, BUT, it was out of warranty...... Murphy's Law.... something WILL happen. She asked again if I had any noticeable problems with my pump, battery, etc. I told her that I was changing my battery more frequently than I remembered, but it appeared to be working. That seemed to be all she needed and then she said "Well, insurance companies typically don't want to replace something even if it's out of warranty until it becomes broken."

Ah, thank you for my very expensive health insurance. The future of my care and flexibility is now in the hands of people that have never lived with this disease and don't know the consequences of not taking the best care possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.