Tuesday, July 10, 2007

So, it's Tuesday and I've had 3 days to think about "SICKO", re-hash it, resist the urge to quit my job and move to Cuba, France, or the UK.............

I did like the part in the movie where Michael Moore said something like "The United States (and I'm paraphrasing, I think) is a country of we, not a country of me." Or, he'd like it to be that way and so would I. Yes, I am very familiar that universal health care isn't the BEST system in the world either..... I've had people tell me that people die in France waiting to get treatment for prostrate cancer, a treatment that they can get immediately here. So, yes, I like the expediancy of our system. However, I pointed out to this same individual that this fast treatment can also bankrupt an individual, ruin a family......... forcing the sick individual to feel guilt..... is this what we're striving for??

In Michael's typical fashion, he uses sarcasm (and, boy, I LOVE THAT) to get points across. He uses the most dramatic situations to prove a point. Is he stating that universal healthcare is the end all, be all? No.... I took away from that there are advantages to the system ( a more holistic approach that deals with the person and not with a pharmaceutical company, an insurance company, or law makers) and there are advantages to our system. Can't there be a compromise??

So, I give Michael Moore gold stars for his movie. I didn't doubt that I would love the movie. I was surprised that I cried at how utterly pathetic we can be towards each other in the middle of health crisis' though.

And, my final note (for now) is that I looked at my husband after the movie and said "You know, in my 27+ years of having diabetes, the best health care I ever received was when I went to a doctor that didn't accept any insurance." Meaning, I had to pay the doctor visit upfront and then take on responsibility myself to submit it and deal with the insurance. It was worth it to have the undivided attention and focus of my doctor treating me as a human being............ and she helped me have a beautiful son in the process!

No comments: