Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy

Sounds scary, doesn't it? It is. It is, sometimes. I have retinopathy in both eyes ( I attribute to working a p/t job in a cookie store in high school..... definitely NOT one of my best choices ). I had treatment in my right eye back in 1995 and was headed to do treatment in my left eye in 1996, but everything "stabilized". I attribute my stabilization to scaring the living bejesus out of myself the first three treatments in my right eye!!

Alas, in 2006, things went sour and after putting it off for 11 years, I began treatment in my left eye because it had "come to that point." I, thankfully, have a great doctor who is of Syrian descent and once he knew I had taken Arabic classes, he promised to teach me all the bad words in Arabic ( I still have to hold him to this promise!!) He's a great doctor....totally listened to my fears (the eye numbing shot under the eyeball that I wanted to avoid at all costs) and has worked with me. He is somewhat stupefied by one section of my eye because I've had 2500 ZAPS (technically known as photocoagulations) and I have one stubborn section where there is still blood flow despite my zaps. It doesn't surprise me....... I'm Irish, I'm stubborn :)

I think I've had 4-5 treatments so far on my left eye to acquire 2500 zaps. Tomorrow I go in for a second follow up...... the blood flow was still there 6 weeks ago when I went in for the follow up to my last treatment, but the doctor wanted to wait another 6 weeks to see if more swelling and scar tissue disappeared. I think I've come to the point where I will agree to get the dreaded shot near my eye to numb the damn thing in order to laser it more because I'm at my breaking point of patience.......... I kind of want this to be over with.

Frankly, I'm feeling like I'd like all the diabetes hoopla to be over with. I'd like a "diabetes holiday" where I could go to Dunkin Donuts in the morning and have a caramel coolatta and chocolate covered glazed donut for breakfast, have a twinkie for snack, eat a plain hamburger happy meal super sized (ok, I'd stick with the diet soda out of sheer habit), and then for dinner, I'd just go to Friendly's and eat a sundae for dinner!! HA. I've thought a little too much about this, haven't I?!

Wish me luck tomorrow................. at least I know that my doctor is within 10 years of my own age, has a child the same age as mine, and enjoys my sarcasm. (Hey, it's hard not to like the patient who is the youngest one in your office by at least 30 years!!!)

No comments: