Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Insurance surprise!

Well, my husband's work stuck with the status quo of UHC for their insurance coverage, but my work ditched GreatWest (no love loss there) and switched to CareFirst (Blue Cross/ Blue Shield). I wasn't sure how this coverage would be, but I was pleasantly surprised that all my current doctors were part of the PPO program. I am NOT willing to switch my endo or my retinopathist (mostly I won't switch my retina guy because I trust him with my eyesight). Yeah, they are all "in network".

Surprise of all surprises was that my husband picked up my test strips this evening and I had NO deductible!! I normally pay $20 co-pay on it, but because I'm covered by both, it rang up to $0.00. Can you believe it? In my 27 years of diabetes, I don't believe I've ever had my pharmacy bill come to zero.

Now, if we could only solve that Omnipod insurance problem!!! My rep, Francisco, at Insulet told me not to worry and I'm not going to.........I got my supplies mailed to me and that was a worry since my first round hadn't been covered yet, but I keep using it. Seriously, the Omnipod is so easy to use. And, even better, Insulet has made a deal with Dexcom for a development agreement to work on a CGM system and pump, all cordless. NICE.

1 comment:

AmyT said...

Hey Diabetchik,

So glad to hear that you like the Omnipod, too. I've been on it for about a year. Let us know it goes with the insurance.

Best,
AmyT
www.diabetesmine.com